Sinn und Bedeutung 28 will take place at Ruhr University Bochum (RUB) from September 5-8, 2023. The conference is jointly organized by the RUB Department of Linguistics, the Linguistic Data Science Lab, the Department of German Language and Literature, and the Departments of Philosophy I and II. The conference will feature a three-day main session (Sept. 6-8) and two parallel one-day special sessions on The Semantics and Pragmatics of Co-Speech / Co-Sign Communication and on Big Data in Semantics and Pragmatics (Sept. 5).
Conference Website: https://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/sub28/
Invited Speakers (main session):
- Dorothy Ahn (Rutgers University)
- Hazel Pearson (Queen Mary University of London)
- Graham Priest (City University of New York, University of Melbourne, RUB)
Invited Speakers (special sessions):
Semantics and Pragmatics of Co-Speech / Co-Sign Communication
- Cornelia Ebert (Goethe University Frankfurt)
- Special Session Website: https://www.ruhr-uni-bochum.de/sub28/coverbal.html.en
Big Data in Semantics and Pragmatics
- Racquel Fernandez (University of Amsterdam)
Call for Papers
We invite abstract submissions for talks or posters on topics pertaining to natural language semantics, pragmatics, the syntax-semantics interface, super semantics, philosophy of language, and psycho-/neurolinguistic investigations related to meaning. We specifically welcome submissions on the semantics of under-represented languages and phenomena.
- Abstracts should contain original research that, at the time of submission, has neither been published nor accepted for publication. One person can submit at most one abstract as sole author and one abstract as co-author (or two co-authored abstracts) for the main session and special session combined.
- Submissions must be anonymous and must not reveal the identity of the authors in any form.
- Abstracts should fit two pages (letter size or A4 paper, 2.54cm or 1 inch margins on all sides, 12 point font, Times New Roman), with an additional third page used *exclusively* for the following elements: references (obligatory), large figures or tables, as many lines of text as there are lines of glosses and translations in non-English glossed examples.
- Abstracts must be submitted in PDF format via EasyChair by Wednesday, March 15, 2023 (23:59 Central European Standard Time): https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=sub28. Easychair will open for submissions on January 15, 2023.
Note: Since Bochum gets very busy during the summer, we strongly recommend booking your accommodation as early as possible (with a cancellation option).
- Submission deadline: March 15, 2023
- Notification of acceptance: May 30, 2023
- Special sessions: September 5, 2023
- Main session: September 6-8, 2023
- Kristina Liefke (RUB Philosophy II)
- Ralf Klabunde (RUB Linguistics, Linguistic Data Science Lab)
- Agata Renans (RUB Linguistics)
- Daniel Gutzmann (RUB German Language & Literature)
- Tatjana Scheffler (RUB German Language & Literature)
- Dolf Rami (RUB Philosophy I)
- Heinrich Wansing (RUB Philosophy I)
- Markus Werning (RUB Philosophy II)